Saturday, October 18, 2008

More Mehndi



Diwali is coming up for the Hindu community, and if I've got it straight, Karvachauth, the day when wives fast for their husbands' long lives commences the countdown to Diwali, the festival of lights. Women get mehndi (henna) done to celebrate and as good luck, so I'd been doing that for them on Wednesday and Thursday nights. Here are two ladies' hands. My neck was completely a wreck on Friday from being hunched over for most of Thursday, but everyone loved their mehndi, so it was (kind of) worth it. Part of me wonders if I'm putting too much effort into the designs given that I don't charge that much...yet!

2 comments:

Keeping Amber Entertained said...

This is beautiful I would love to do this.

Anonymous said...

That is so lovely, Robo.

My experience with Henna pertains to two Morroccan weddings; one Muslim, one Jewish. Also very beautiful tracery, but a bit more geometrical - the Berber influence.

(You know me from Thoughtful Dresser. Peace to everyone in South Asia.)